Monday, August 3, 2009

It starts with me

So I went to church with the pham yesterday (as usual) and was really enlightened. The associate pastor covered the widely misinterpreted scripture "Wives submit to your husbands, and husbands love your wives". The direction that he took really impressed me. His take on the verse was that the action starts with you. Not to use it as a "this is what you need to be doing" write of passage. He used examples as God sending his son Jesus to us and him being sacrificed to save our souls. This was God making the 1st step for/towards us. He basically said that rather than waiting on the other person to make the move why don't you just make the 1st move. This really resonated in my life as I had become the person that was irritated by others around me not making the "1st move" that I vowed not to make another positive move until I was reassured that the other person had already done so. Bad mistake that has cost me severely in my life thus far. But God is a forgiving God and has continued to guide me in the right path (sometimes I go kicking and screaming); but I go. I sum this up to say make the move. Rather that person is moving or even plans to move. Make that move...

1 comment:

  1. That's a good lesson to learn...so many relationships, whether a marriage a friendship of business partnership, fall into ruin because someone is waiting on someone else to make the first move. How often do you hear somebody say, "I'm always the one who steps up" or "I'm always the bigger person" while they are waiting the other person to be just that? That is not the example that Jesus gave us. That passage that was used in Ephesians 5 is beautiful as it paints a complete picture. Wives have an obligation to submit to their husbands. Husbands have an obligation to love their wives. Period. There is no "only if he loves you" or "only if she submits to you." Regardless of what the other person is doing, you still have to fulfill your obligation. Isn't that what Christ did? He loves the church so much that He gave His life so that His bride can be sanctified! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete