Monday, December 21, 2009

Sole Survivor

So last night as I was watching the season finale of Survivor Samoa 1 question resonated on the principle of who deserves to win the game. The question is:
  • "If you play the game with known intentions of lying, cheating, and stealing do you deserve to win seeing that you successfully turned everyone against each other?

Moreover, if you follow a person that lies, cheats, and steals do you deserve to win the game? What I noticed is that society punishes those who outwardly accept that role but for some strange reason we shoot a hall pass to those who follow those ring leaders. So who is really wrong? Is it more detrimental to wear your mal-intentions on your sleeve or to simply quietly follow that person and in the end "claim" that you did nothing wrong. Truth is we have all come into contact with a "Russell" in our travels. I think we all have wanted to knock the sh%t out of them at times. Truth is most of us have followed that person and just when the "jig was up" we put on our halos and acted as if we had nothing to do with the demise of others.

I apply this concept to my life directly. If I have a friend that is knowingly doing something wrong and I don't correct him for those wrongs then I am just as wrong. If you have a friend that you know is telling you lies about their personal life and you do nothing more than to be a sounding board then you are doing your friend an injustice. We can all smell a lie out of a stack of truths so why not call a spade a spade?!
If you keep up with my blog you know that I "tell it like it is". I don't "hold punches"; that includes punching myself at times. I would rather be surrounded by friends and family who accept me as I am (truthfully) and check me when I am in the wrong. I don't want to be around people that are merely sounding boards and don't help to guide me to what is truly right. Its like sheep leading sheep if that were the case.
So my assignment to you (and me) is to do a self-inventory of the company you keep.
  • Do they truly call you wrong when you are?
  • Are they adding any positiveness to your life?

If they aren't maybe in 2010 is the time to "make a trim"....

No comments:

Post a Comment